Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG)
An endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is an innovative non-surgical procedure performed with the aid of an endoscopic suturing device to reduce the size of the stomach to help patients to lose weight.
Who is suitable for an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty?
An endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) is an option for patients who would like to lose weight with a body mass index (BMI) of 30+. This procedure is also suitable for patients who have not been successful with other methods or are not eligible for other bariatric surgeries.
However, an ESG is not suitable for everyone who is overweight. Patients will go through a screening process, where your consultant will discuss your suitability for this procedure.
What does an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty involve?
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty surgery is performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes approximately 90 minutes.
The procedure is performed using an endoscope that has a camera and an endoscopic suturing device attached. The surgeon will insert the endoscope down your throat into the stomach, the camera will enable the surgeon to see and operate without the need of making any incisions to your abdomen. The surgeon will place sutures in your stomach, changing the structure of your stomach. This results in your body reducing the number of calories it absorbs.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the operation depends on a range of factors, including your age, fitness level and the nature of the procedure. Our dedicated recovery team of specialist nurses, dieticians and physiotherapists will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
We welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. Below is an outline of our self-pay package which includes tests, hospital stay, procedure and consultant fees.
Fixed Price Package: £10,810
Please note if an initial consultation takes place but does not lead to an admission for procedure the charge for the initial consultation of £250 will still be chargeable.
- Initial consultation, consultant’s surgeon and consultant anaesthetist professional fees
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes up to a 1-night stay in a private room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Procedures: Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty and gastroscopy, if required. Including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Dietician services and supplements during inpatient and 1 dietician appointment after 4 weeks of discharge.
- Inpatient physiotherapy, if required and surgical stockings.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package (up to £50).
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages
- Follow up consultation professional fees after the admission.
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
- Re-admission for return to theatres.