High Intensity Focussed Ultrasound of Prostate (HIFU)
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound of Prostate is a non-surgical procedure that uses high frequency ultrasound to heat and destroy cancer cells in the prostate. It is commonly shortened to HIFU.
What does High Intensity Focused Ultrasound involve?
Your surgeon will place an ultrasound probe into your bottom. This gives out a high intensity ultrasound that kills cancer cells. The surgeon will be able view the prostate on a screen which will allow them to target the ultrasound precisely and treat all the cancer cells in the area. The procedure usually takes around 2 hours.
What can you do to prepare for High Intensity Focused Ultrasound?
Ahead of your operation, it helps if you can stay active and do gentle exercise. This will help you cope with the operation and build strength afterwards. Your consultant will advise you of any specific instructions ahead of your procedure.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the procedure depends on a range of factors, including your age. However, if the operation is done in the morning or early afternoon, most patients can go home the same day. If done in the late afternoon or early evening, then you will need to stay overnight. Our dedicated urology specialist nurse will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Daycase hospital package from £12,145
Indicative consultant fees from £2,200
- Standard pre-admission tests such as blood and urine tests and an electrocardiogram (ECG) that are required to assess fitness for surgery
- Light meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Overnight accommodation in a private en-suite room is provided if required, at an increased package price
- Consultant consultation fee (first and follow-up)
- Consultant procedure fee
- Anaesthetist fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions