High Intensity Focussed Ultrasound of Prostate (HIFU)
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound of Prostate is a non-surgical procedure that uses high frequency ultrasound to heat and destroy cancer cells in the prostate. It is commonly shortened to HIFU.
What does High Intensity Focused Ultrasound involve?
Your surgeon will place an ultrasound probe into your bottom. This gives out a high intensity ultrasound that kills cancer cells. The surgeon will be able view the prostate on a screen which will allow them to target the ultrasound precisely and treat all the cancer cells in the area. The procedure usually takes around 2 hours.
What can you do to prepare for High Intensity Focused Ultrasound?
Ahead of your operation, it helps if you can stay active and do gentle exercise. This will help you cope with the operation and build strength afterwards. Your consultant will advise you of any specific instructions ahead of your procedure.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the procedure depends on a range of factors, including your age. However, if the operation is done in the morning or early afternoon, most patients can go home the same day. If done in the late afternoon or early evening, then you will need to stay overnight. Our dedicated urology specialist nurse will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, professional fees, post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of your treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant surgeon and consultant anaesthetist professional fees.
- Two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Theatre Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- MRI scan.
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, histology, and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages (light meals for daycases).
- Post- op X-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within 12 weeks.
- Return to theatres within 12 weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote M6770.
Book an appointment today
Please note - regrettably we are unable to answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice via email or telephone.