Lumbar decompression is a type of surgery that is designed to treat compressed nerves in the lower spine – providing patients with relief from pain and numbness in the legs.
What does a lumbar decompression involve?
You will be placed under general anesthetic and your surgeon will make an incision in the affected area of your spine. They will then remove the bone and ligament segments which are causing compression and pressure on the nerves. The procedure usually takes around 90 minutes.
What is the recovery period?
Your recovery may vary depending on your condition and the complexity of the surgery performed, however, most patients are able to resume light activities about 8 weeks after surgery. Your surgeon will tailor your recovery plan to your needs and our dedicated physiotherapy team will work with you closely to ensure you have the techniques and support needed to recover as fully as possible.
As nicotine has been shown to inhibit the ability of bone-growing cells, smoking can negatively impact your recovery from surgery. It is strongly advised to stop smoking at least 2-3 months before surgery.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include diagnostics, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- consultant surgeon and consultant anaesthetist procedure fees.
- two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op time frame.
- pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- ward medications, dressings, and ward nursing consumables.
- theatre procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- theatre prosthesis.
- pathology and histology, if required.
- standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- all patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- return to theatres within six weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- take out supplies.
- companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- personal expenses –telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
- Mr Ramesh Nadarajah, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mr Syed Aftab, Consultant Orthopaedic & Spinal Surgeon
- Mr Jonathan Bull, Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Mr Fady Sedra, Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal surgeon
When enquiring about this package please quote V2560.
Book an appointment today
Please note - regrettably we are unable to answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice via email or telephone.