Microsurgical varicocele ligation
A microsurgical varicocele ligation is the gold standard procedure that removes swollen veins around the testicles and helps restores a balanced blood flow to the male reproductive organs.
Who is suitable for microsurgical varicocele ligation?
This treatment is most commonly used to treat patients who suffer from swollen veins in the scrotum called varicoceles. These swollen veins can cause scrotal pain, a change in the size of the testes, hormonal imbalance and are commonly seen in men with low sperm counts and/or quality.
What does it involve?
Microsurgical varicocele ligation is a procedure using a state-of-the-art microscope where a small incision is made in the groin on the affected side of the scrotum. It is performed under a general anaesthetic. The veins, once exposed, are dissected and tied off using microscopic vision.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the operation depends on a range of factors, including your age. Most patients are able to go home the same day as their procedure, though it may take a few weeks to heal fully. Your surgeon will be able to advise you on the likely recovery period for you. However, it is recommended that you do not do any heavy lifting or running for 2 weeks after the operation. Our dedicated recovery team of specialist nurses will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, professional fees, post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of your treatment.
Below is an outline of our self-pay Fixed Price Package.
Fixed Price Package: £5,100
- Consultant’s surgeon and consultant anaesthetist professional fees.
- Two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Theatre Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, histology, and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages (light meals for daycases).
- Post- op x-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within 6 weeks.
- Return to theatres within 6 weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…