Orbera gastric balloon
The Orbera gastric balloon is one of the most widely used non-surgical approaches for helping people to lose weight.
The gastric balloon is passed through your throat and placed in your stomach during a quick, non-surgical procedure – meaning no incisions, stitches or scars. The balloon is then inflated with sterile water, partially filling your stomach. This makes you feel less hungry. When you do eat, you feel fuller quicker and for longer, helping you to reduce your food intake and lose weight.
Who is suitable for the Orbera gastric balloon procedure?
The Orbera gastric balloon procedure is suitable for anyone over the age of 18, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 27 or above, who wishes to lose a moderate amount of weight and change their lifestyle.
It is especially suitable if you do not want or are not suitable for surgery.
What does the Orbera gastric balloon procedure involve?
It is a simple procedure which usually takes about 30 minutes. The Orbera gastric balloon is passed down your oesophagus into your stomach. The balloon is then inflated with sterile water, partially filling your stomach. You will be mildly sedated during the procedure.
When the balloon is filled with water it takes up space in your stomach. This makes you feel less hungry and helps you to reduce your food intake and to focus on healthy eating and lifestyle.
At Cromwell Hospital, we support you in your weight loss journey. You will receive personalised diet and lifestyle advice from one of our specialist dieticians before the procedure and across a series of follow-up sessions. This will help you maintain a healthy diet and achieve your long-term weight loss goals.
The Orbera gastric balloon will be removed after 6 or 12 months. Your consultant will discuss this with you.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include diagnostics, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees
- One pre-op consultation with a specialist dietitian
- Any required medications and/or consumables as part of procedure
- Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs
- Discharge medication pertaining to the package
- Three follow-up consultations with a specialist dietitian across six months or five follow-up consultations with a specialist dietitian across 12 months
Excluded from the package price:
- Initial consultation with Consultant Surgeon.
- Take out supplies
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote G4442.