Primary repair of inguinal hernia - Bilateral
A bilateral inguinal hernia is when there are hernias on both sides of the groin at the same time. The procedure is done to repair the hernias and strengthen the surrounding tissue to help prevent the hernias returning. This is usually performed as keyhole (laparoscopic) surgery.
What does a bilateral primary repair of inguinal hernia involve?
The inguinal hernia repair surgery on both sides can be performed either through a laparoscopic surgery (keyhole) or open surgery, both surgeries are usually carried out under general anaesthetic but at times the open surgery can be performed under a local anaesthetic.
Keyhole surgery is minimally invasive and is performed by making small incisions on either side of your abdomen, which gives the surgeon access to the area.
What is the recovery period?
The recovery period after a bilateral hernia repair surgery will depend on multiple factors, such as your age, fitness level and the procedure. However, most patients can go home the same day. Our dedicated recovery team of specialist nurses and physiotherapists will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Hospital package for open surgery (T2010) from £3,620 (daycase), £4,340 (1 night), £5,390 (2 nights)
Hospital package for laparoscopic surgery (T2012) from £4,695 (daycase), £5,415 (1 night) and £6,465 (2 nights)
Indicative consultant fees from £550
When enquiring about this package, please quote T2010 for open surgery or T2012 for laparoscopic surgery.
- Standard pre-admission tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG) and chest X-ray
- Light meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Overnight accommodation in a private en-suite room is provided if required, at an increased package price
- Consultant consultation fee
- Consultant procedure fee
- Anaesthetist fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions