A shoulder arthroscopy is a type of keyhole surgery that is carried out through a very small incision in the shoulder joint. Shoulder arthroscopy helps to diagnose and treat the causes of shoulder pain and is less invasive compared to traditional open surgery - which results in quicker recovery. This procedure is regularly performed by our orthopaedic surgeons who specialise in shoulder conditions.
What does a shoulder arthroscopy involve?
Keyhole shoulder arthroscopy surgery usually takes arounds 30 minutes to an hour and is performed by an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in treating these conditions. Your surgeon will make a small surgical cut in your shoulder, and place a small telescope called arthroscope into your shoulder joint. An arthroscope is a tiny tube with a camera attached to its tip that allows the surgeon to see inside of your shoulder. This view will allow the surgeon to explore your shoulder joint and to guide miniature surgical instruments to repair or remove damaged tissue.
Our shoulder surgeons will discuss the procedure in detail with you before your surgery.
What is the recovery period?
You can usually go home on the same day after shoulder arthroscopy procedure, although some patients might require an overnight stay in hospital.
Following shoulder arthroscopy, it might take up to three months to get back to your usual activities. Recovery depends on many factors including injury severity and your fitness levels.
Your shoulder surgeon will provide a recovery plan that is tailored to your needs.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetists fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include diagnostics, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of both our self-pay Hospital Package and our Fixed Price Package.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Hospital package from £3,335 (daycase), £3,995 (1 night), £4,975 (2 night)
Indicative consultant fees from £550
- Standard pre-admission tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG) and chest X-ray
- Accommodation in a private en-suite room up to three nights (though longer stays are provided if required, at an increased package price)
- All meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anaesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Consultant initial and follow up consultation fees
- Consultant procedure fee
- Anaesthetist fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions
Included in the package price:
Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
Three follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe
Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
Ward medications, dressings and nursing consumables
Theatre Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables
Pathology and histology, if required
Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required
Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages
Post-op x-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within 3 months.
Return to theatres within 3 months of the procedure date due to complication.
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses –telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote W8603.