A shoulder replacement is a common operation in which a damaged or worn shoulder joint is replaced with a prosthetic joint. There are different types of shoulder replacement, including a total shoulder replacement, a reverse shoulder replacement and a hemiarthroplasty. The procedure has a high success rate, and is designed to greatly relieve pain, improve your range of movement and give you a significantly improved quality of life.
What does a shoulder replacement involve?
A shoulder replacement surgery usually takes about 1-2 hours. As a patient, you will usually have a general anaesthetic. During the surgery, your surgeon will make an incision to the front of your shoulder to remove the damaged shoulder joint and replace it with a prosthetic one.
What is the recovery period?
The recovery period from shoulder replacement surgery depends on various factors, including your age and fitness level. However, most patients spend up to three days in hospital. After surgery, your arm will be placed in a sling which needs to be worn for 48 hours. A dedicated recovery team of specialist orthopaedic nurses and physiotherapists will work with you closely to make sure you build strength and mobility as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Hospital package from £11,810
Indicative consultant fees from £1,250
- Standard pre-admission tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG) and chest X-ray
- Accommodation in a private en-suite room up to three nights (though longer stays are provided if required, at an increased package price)
- All meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Consultant consultation fee
- Consultant procedure fee
- Anaesthetist fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions