Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)
An endoscopic resection of prostate is a minimally-invasive operation to remove parts of the prostate causing a blockage to urine flow. It is usually performed to treat an enlarged prostate.
Who is suitable for a TURP?
A TURP is most commonly used to treat patients with an enlarged prostate that is causing symptoms. Patients usually try medication first and if the medication is not working, stops working or is causing side-effects, a TURP can be considered. Some patients do not want to be on long term medication and this is another reason to consider a TURP.
What does a TURP involve?
Patients will be placed under general or spinal anesthetic for the operation. The surgeon will pass a telescope through the opening in the penis and use electrocautery to remove part of the prostate gland. The operation is designed to relieve the symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate, such as difficulty urinating.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the operation depends on a range of factors, including your age. However, most patients need to spend two nights in hospital. In some cases, patients can go home after one night. Your surgeon will advise you about this. Our dedicated recovery team of specialist nurses will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of both our self-pay Hospital Package and our Fixed Price Package.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
- Hospital package from £3,890 (daycase), £4,610 (one night), £5,390 (two nights)
- Indicative consultant fees from £799
- Standard pre-admission tests such to assess fitness for surgery
- Accommodation in a private en-suite room up to two nights (though longer stays are provided if required, at an increased package price)
- All meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Histology of removed prostate tissue. As TURP involves removal of prostate tissue, this is sent to a pathology laboratory for routine assessment.
- Consultant consultation fee (initial and follow-up)
- Consultant procedure fee
- Anaesthetist fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions
Included in the package price:
- Consultant’s surgeon and consultant anaesthetist professional fees.
- One follow-up consultation with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Theatre Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- TWOC performed by nurse.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, histology, and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages (light meals for daycases).
- Post-op X-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within 12 weeks.
- Return to theatres within 12 weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package
- Professor Hashim Ahmed, Consultant Urological Surgeon
- Mr Hama Attar, Consultant Urological Surgeon
- Mr Benjamin Lamb, Consultant Urological Surgeon
When enquiring about this package please quote M6530
Book an appointment today
Please note - regrettably we are unable to answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice via email or telephone.