Aortic valve replacement or repair
An aortic valve replacement or repair is performed as open-heart surgery. The faulty or damaged valve is removed and replaced with a new valve.
Who is suitable for an aortic valve replacement?
Your cardiologist may recommend an aortic valve replacement/repair if your age and overall health make you eligible for surgery.
It is a major procedure that requires a considerable recovery period so your consultant will talk you through your options.
What does an aortic valve replacement involve?
The procedure is carried out under general anaesthetic, so you won’t feel anything. A sternal bone incision will be made in your chest to access your heart. The heart is temporarily stopped for part of the operation and when you are connected to a heart-lung (bypass) machine which takes over the functions of your heart and lungs.
Your surgeon will repair or remove the diseased valve and replace it with the most suitable size valve for your body size and anatomy. Your heart will be restarted, and you’ll be removed from the bypass machine and your chest will be closed.
What is the recovery period?
Following surgery, you’ll be taken to an intensive care unit, usually for 1-2 days so your heart, lungs, and bodily functions can be carefully monitored. You’ll then be moved to a surgical ward where you’ll stay for a further 4-5 days depending on your condition.
It may take up to 2-3 months before you are fully recovered, therefore you should gradually return to your normal activities. After 4-6 weeks you should be able to drive and you will need approximately 6-12 weeks off work, depending on your job.
Your cardiologist will advise what pain killers or medication you require, any activities you should avoid and can refer you for physiotherapy to help aid your rehabilitation.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- One follow-up consultation with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes 1 night in ITU, 1 night in HDU and a further stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs, consumables, and prosthesis.
- Pathology, histology, and diagnostics, if required.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Post- op cardiology pertaining to the procedure within four weeks.
- Return to theatres within four weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Home monitoring device and cardiology follow ups, if required.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote K2600.
Book an appointment today
Please note - regrettably we are unable to answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice via email or telephone.