Gynaecology is the diagnosis and treatment of conditions affecting women’s reproductive systems
We offer next day appointments with our expert gynaecologists to give you peace of mind and rapid access to onward treatment.
Along with our health screening programmes for women, our services include infertility treatment, surgical treatment of incontinence and pelvic prolapse, family planning, endometriosis, and menopause management.
We provide a comprehensive diagnostic service for all gynaecological conditions, using the latest technology and an on-site laboratory for accurate and fast test results. In most cases we can offer same day diagnostic tests, including ultrasound.
Our experienced gynaecologists work as part of multidisciplinary teams to treat cancer and complex cases.
If you receive a diagnosis for a gynaecological cancer, you will be supported every step of the way by your consultant and members of your healthcare team.
When should you make an appointment with us?
We provide prompt and efficient investigations for a range of different gynaecological symptoms and conditions including:
- a cervical smear abnormality
- abnormal bleeding, such as heavy or irregular periods, bleeding between periods, bleeding after sex, bleeding with hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or post-menopausal bleeding
- a clinical abnormality of your cervix, vulva or vagina
- pelvic pain including period and premenstrual pains
- feeling constantly bloated or discomfort in your tummy area.
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms or have received an abnormal smear result, you can self-refer to the clinic, or be referred by your GP. You don’t need medical insurance and we offer a range of flexible payment options.
What happens next?
Depending on your symptoms and reason for referral, you may receive some of the following diagnostics at your appointment or shortly after:
- initial consultation and smear test – this is with your consultant and may include an internal examination, as well as a cervical smear.
- ultrasound scan – this investigation is used to provide images of the uterus and the ovaries and may be carried out on the abdomen or using a vaginal probe. We can offer same day ultrasounds.
- colposcopy – this test is usually offered if you’ve received an abnormal result from a smear test. It enables the consultant gynaecologist to take a much more detailed look at your cervix (the lower part of your womb); they may also take a small sample of tissue, known as a biopsy.
- endometrial biopsy – this involves removing a sample of the lining of the womb.
- cervical biopsy – this involves taking the tissue from the cervix for analysis.
- vulval biopsy – whereby your consultant will remove a small piece of tissue from the vulval area for analysis.
Your tests will be analysed at our on-site laboratory. You will then have a follow-up consultation with your consultant gynaecologist to discuss your test results and any ongoing treatment options.
We carry out treatments including:
- ablation of thyroids
- Bartholin or sebaceous cyst removal
- cervical smear tests
- diagnostic hysteroscopy
- genital wart treatment
- hormone implant therapy
- hysteroscopy >
- hysterectomy with an excision >
- IUCD insertion and removal, Mirena coils
- oophorectomy and salpingectomy >
- polyp removal
- sexual health screening including HPV or chlamydia
- subtotal abdominal hysterectomy
- total abdominal hysterectomy >
- vaginal hysterectomy >
Cancer treatments are managed by our multidisciplinary teams of oncology specialists to ensure you get the right treatment and support for your condition.
Our on-site diagnostic services include:
- bladder studies
- cervical screening
- MRI scans
- menopause blood profiling
- ultrasound for testing for conditions such as menopause, HIV, sexually transmitted diseases
- ‘Well woman’ service, providing annual gynaecological investigations, ultrasounds, and treatments.
International Centre for Endometriosis
At Cromwell Hospital’s International Centre for Endometriosis, our aim is to provide patients with rapid access to a diagnosis, and a tailored and comprehensive treatment plan to set them on a path to recovery.
Treatments for gynaecological cancers
We have some of the best gynaecology cancer consultants and treatment facilities available. Depending on your diagnosis and needs, the following treatments may be recommended to you:
Here you will find further information about these cancer types, their symptoms and how they're diagnosed and the treatment options available at Cromwell Hospital.
Why choose us for gynaecology?
At Cromwell Hospital, you can expect:
- fast and seamless care – women's health screening, consultations, diagnostics, and referrals in one place.
- leading consultant care – gynaecologists with specialised experience in all aspects of women's reproductive systems.
- Genesis Care – our partnership with leading cancer care specialists provides an all-round cancer management service.
- state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging and screening.
- treatments for gynaecological cancers.
Our specialist gynaecologists
Our gynaecologists have trained at London's top teaching hospitals. Leaders in the field, they work together to provide optimum care for you.
"I would like to thank everyone at Cromwell Hospital for the fantastic way you looked after me. I could not fault anyone during the time I spent with you - from the point I arrived in reception, to the catering team and every member of staff throughout the changes of shift during my stay."
Anonymous, Cromwell Hospital patient