Greenlight laser prostatectomy
Greenlight laser prostatectomy, also known as photovaporisation of the prostate is a minimally invasive procedure, which uses a laser to remove excess prostate tissue.
Who is suitable for Greenlight laser prostatectomy?
The procedure is suitable for men who have been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. An enlarged prostate is where the prostate, a small gland found near a man's bladder, increases in size.
Although an enlarged prostate is not usually a threat to a man’s health, it can cause urinary symptoms which can impact on quality of life. The Greenlight laser prostatectomy helps to relieve these symptoms by reducing the size of the prostate, taking the pressure off the urethra (the tube carrying urine from the bladder to the outside of your body) allowing for normal urination.
What does a Greenlight laser prostatectomy involve?
During the procedure your consultant will insert a cytoscope, with a small camera attached, through the tip of your penis into your urethra. The camera enables your surgeon to have clear visibility of your bladder and prostate.
A laser is then passed through the scope using concentrated light and energy to vapourise (or remove) the excess prostate tissue.
The procedure is carried out under general or spinal anaesthetic and usually takes about an hour to complete, depending on the prostate size. Once your surgeon is happy that enough prostate tissue has been removed, a catheter (a urinary drainage tube) may be inserted into the bladder to help you pass urine. Generally, the catheter is only required for 24 to 48 hours after your surgery.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the procedure depends on a range of factors, but most patients are able to go home on the following day after their surgery. A few men go home the same day if the surgery is carried out early in the morning.
Our dedicated urology specialist nurse will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible. They will also support you with the management of your catheter.
You may need to take a week off work to recover from the procedure, and in most instances, it takes about 6 weeks for you to fully recover.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, professional fees, post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of your treatment.
Below is an outline of our self-pay Fixed Price Package.
Fixed Price Package: £7,170
- Consultant’s surgeon and consultant anaesthetist professional fees.
- One follow-up consultation with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Theatre Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, histology, and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages (light meals for daycases).
- Post- op x-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within 12 weeks.
- Return to theatres within 12 weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
When enquiring about this package please quote M6760.
Consultants offering this package:
Book an appointment today
Please note - regrettably we are unable to answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice via email or telephone.