Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF) is a procedure to correct the irregular, often abnormally fast heart rate of AF and return it to a normal heart rhythm. It uses either heat (radiofrequency ablation) or freezing (cryoablation) on the area of your heart that’s causing the abnormal heart rhythm. The treatment breaks abnormal circuits in the heart which trigger the AF.
Who is suitable for catheter ablation?
Your cardiologist may recommend catheter ablation if:
- Your age, overall health, and the type of atrial fibrillation you have are compatible with the treatment
- Other treatments such as medication have not been successful
- You're not suitable for other treatments such as cardioversion
What does catheter ablation involve?
The procedure is carried out with anaesthetic support and can be performed under local anaesthetic and sedation or general anesthetic. The femoral veins are used to access the heart. Thin electrical catheters (tubes) are passed through the veins to the heart. The appropriate area of the heart is identified and treatment is delivered through the catheters.
When the ablation is complete, the catheter is removed. Rarely, you may develop some bruising and tenderness around the femoral veins but patients are usually sent home on the same day or the day after.
What is the recovery period?
After the procedure, you’ll be able to go home the same day or the day after.
Your doctor will let you know when it is safe for you to drive. You should avoid heavy lifting for at least two weeks after your treatment.
After 12 weeks it will be clear if the treatment has been successful, up until that point, you may have some continued symptoms such as palpitations. Catheter ablation can be repeated if your symptoms do not improve and your cardiologist will explain the alternative treatment options.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- Four follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Surgical and anaesthetic standby team.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and consumables.
- Pathology, histology, and diagnostics, if required.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Post- op ECG pertaining to the procedure within 12 months.
- Return to theatres within 12 months of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Home monitoring device and cardiology follow ups, if required.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote K5760.