Children's physiotherapy helps restore, and improve movement and function when a child is affected by injury, illness or delayed development.
Our paediatric physiotherapists provide the highest standard of assessment and treatment for babies and children aged up to 18.
Our Bobath trained therapists work exclusively with children who have problems with their physical development who have had surgery. They also treat babies with delayed physical development.
Each child has an initial assessment lasting about an hour, and fun activities and toys are used to make sessions enjoyable for you and your child.
What will physiotherapy involve?
Your therapist will discuss your child's immediate and long term needs with you to make a tailored treatment programme. Sessions may include:
- muscle strengthening and stretching
- posture, gait and balance training
- improving movement patterns
- promoting development and balance
- training, advice and support for parents and carers
- coaching parents in massage for infants to promote bonding, development and wellbeing
- neurological rehabilitation
- provision of specialist equipment
Our therapists treat a range of conditions, including:
- physical difficulties in keeping up with their peers or appear clumsy and fall frequently
- neuromuscular problems that affect their mobility and movement
- injuries and imbalances of the musculoskeletal system
- respiratory conditions
- had surgery or will have surgery.
Please note that we do not provide a paediatric intensive care unit at Cromwell Hospital. However, any deteriorating child will be quickly assessed and stabilised by a Resident Medical Officer (RMO) trained in paediatric intensive care, supported by an on-call Paediatric Intensive Care Consultant, before being transferred to the most appropriate paediatric intensive care provider by the Children’s Acute Transport Service (CATS).
"I would like to thank everyone at Cromwell Hospital for the fantastic way you looked after me. I could not fault anyone during the time I spent with you - from the point I arrived in reception, to the catering team and every member of staff throughout the changes of shift during my stay."
Anonymous, Cromwell Hospital patient