A shoulder replacement is a common operation in which a damaged or worn shoulder joint is replaced with a prosthetic joint. There are different types of shoulder replacement, including a total shoulder replacement, a reverse shoulder replacement and a hemiarthroplasty. The procedure has a high success rate, and is designed to greatly relieve pain, improve your range of movement and give you a significantly improved quality of life.
What does a shoulder replacement involve?
A shoulder replacement surgery usually takes about 1-2 hours. As a patient, you will usually have a general anaesthetic. During the surgery, your surgeon will make an incision to the front of your shoulder to remove the damaged shoulder joint and replace it with a prosthetic one.
What is the recovery period?
The recovery period from shoulder replacement surgery depends on various factors, including your age and fitness level. However, most patients spend up to three days in hospital. After surgery, your arm will be placed in a sling which needs to be worn for 48 hours. A dedicated recovery team of specialist orthopaedic nurses and physiotherapists will work with you closely to make sure you build strength and mobility as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetists fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, professional fees, post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of your treatment.
Below is an outline of both our self-pay Hospital Package and our Fixed Price Package.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Hospital package from £13,590
Indicative consultant fees from £1,250
- Standard pre-admission tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG) and chest X-ray
- Accommodation in a private en-suite room up to three nights (though longer stays are provided if required, at an increased package price)
- All meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anaesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Consultant consultation fee
- Consultant procedure fee
- Anaesthetist fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- Three follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings and nursing consumables
- Theatre Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables
- Theatre Prosthesis.
- Pathology and histology, if required
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages
- Post-op x-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within 3 months.
- Return to theatres within 3 months of the procedure date due to complication.
- Take out supplies
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses –telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package
When enquiring about this package please quote W5000.