Cardiac pacemaker insertion
In this procedure, your surgeon will place a small electronic device, called a pacemaker, into your chest to help regulate your heartbeat. Modern pacemakers are about the size of a small matchbox. They send electrical pulses to your heart to keep it beating at a steady pace.
What does a pacemaker insertion involve?
Inserting a cardiac pacemaker takes 30 minutes to an hour. During the procedure you will be under local anaesthetic. Your consultant cardiologist will insert the pacemaker through a small incision made just below your collarbone. They will then feed electro leads from the pacemaker to your heart through a vein.
Once fitted, the pacemaker can detect if your heart is beating abnormally. When needed, the pacemaker will send electrical pulses to your heart to regulate your heartbeat. After the device has been fitted, the way it operates can be tweaked by your consultant. Modern pacemakers usually have a battery life of eight to ten years.
Who is suitable for a pacemaker insertion?
Your consultant cardiologist may recommend that you have a pacemaker fitted if you have problems with your heart that do not respond to medication. This could include:
- you have heart block, a condition that causes disruption to the electrical signals that control your heartbeat
- your heart is beating too slowly or too fast
- you have experienced heart failure or cardiac arrest.
If you have heart problems, a pacemaker can significantly improve your quality of life, giving you the confidence to do the activities you enjoy. For some people, it can be life-saving.
What is the recovery period?
Most patients who have a cardiac pacemaker inserted at Cromwell Hospital choose to spend a night in one of our comfortable, private rooms being cared for by our recovery team.
In the days after the procedure, you may experience some discomfort in your shoulder. We recommend that you take care moving your shoulder for up to six weeks. After that you should be able to return to all your normal activities, including sports and exercise.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include diagnostics, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of both our single chamber and our dual chamber Fixed Price Packages.
Included in the package price:
- consultant surgeon procedure fees.
- two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray),
- recovery and accommodation which includes a one night stay in a private en-suite room.
- ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- procedure, including anaesthetic drugs, consumables, and prosthesis.
- pathology, histology, and diagnostics, if required.
- standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- all patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- post- op remote monitoring pertaining to the procedure within six weeks.
- return to theatres within six weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Inclusions listed above are non-refundable if not required.
Excluded from the package price:
- take out supplies.
- companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- home monitoring device and cardiology follow ups, if required.
- personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in
addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote K6000 for a single chamber procedure or K6010 for dual chamber procedure.
Book an appointment today
Please note - regrettably we are unable to answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice via email or telephone.