Coronary artery bypass graft
A coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) is a surgical procedure for people with atherosclerosis (coronary heart disease) where blood is diverted around narrowed or clogged parts of the major arteries by creating new blood routs (coronary bypass grafts) to improve blood flow and oxygen supply to the heart.
What does a coronary artery bypass graft involve?
The procedure will be carried out under general anaesthetic, so you’ll be unconscious and won’t feel anything. The operation usually takes about 3-4 hours depending on the number of grafts required.
To perform a coronary artery bypass graft, blood vessels (usually from the chest wall, such as the mammary arteries) are taken and then connected to the heart coronary vessels below the blockages. Alternatively, your consultant will use leg veins or arteries from the arms and fashion between the aorta and the coronary artery below the narrowed area or blockage creating a new blood vessel, known as a graft.
What is the recovery period?
After the procedure, you’ll need to stay in hospital for an average of 7 days.
It may take up to 12 weeks before you are fully recovered, therefore you should gradually return to your normal activities. After 4 - 6 weeks you should be able to drive and go back to work. Your cardiologist will advise if there are any activities you should avoid.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- One follow-up consultation with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes one night in ITU, one night in HDU and a further stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs, and consumables.
- Pathology, histology, and diagnostics, if required.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Post- op cardiology and pathology pertaining to the procedure within four weeks.
- Return to theatres within four weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Home monitoring device and cardiology follow ups, if required.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote K4100.