Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal surgery)
Cholecystectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove the gallbladder. The surgery is done to remove the gallbladder due to gallstones either causing pain or an infection.
What does cholecystectomy involve?
The procedure is done through a keyhole (laparoscopic) surgery. The patient will be under general anaesthetic and it could take up to 1- 2 hours.
During the keyhole surgery, the surgeon will make small incisions in your abdomen. The surgeon will insert a tiny tube that has a camera attached through one of the incisions in order to be able to see inside your abdomen. Surgical tools are then inserted through the other incisions to remove the gallbladder.
What is the recovery period?
The length of time it takes you to recover from the operation depends on a range of factors, including your age, fitness level and the nature of the procedure. Our dedicated recovery team of specialist nurses, dieticians and physiotherapists will work with you closely after your operation to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Hospital package from £5,960 (day case), £6,680 (1 night), £7,730 (2 night)
Indicative consultant fees from £750
When enquiring about this package, please quote J1830.
- Standard pre-admission tests such as an electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Accommodation in a private en-suite room up to two nights (though longer stays are provided if required, at an increased package price)
- All meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anaesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Consultant consultation fee
- Consultant procedure fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions