Cardioversion is a treatment which aims to return your abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia) to a normal pattern. This is done by sending electrical signals to your heart by attaching electrodes on your chest. Elective cardioversion is a treatment option for people with atrial tachycardias including atrial fibrillation and flutter.
What does external cardioversion involve?
Whilst under a short-acting general anaesthetic or heavy sedation, electrodes will be attached to your chest, they are then connected to a defibrillator to give you one or more controlled electric shocks. The defibrillator monitors your heart rhythm throughout the treatment.
What is the recovery period?
The majority of people recover from the procedure and go home the same day; however some patients do need to stay overnight. After cardioversion, there may be some slight discomfort in your chest where you received the shock.
External cardioversion is usually successful in restoring a normal heart rhythm. In some cases, the arrhythmia returns which may result in the procedure being repeated, or your consultant may consider other procedures.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- One follow-up consultation with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and consumables.
- Pathology, histology, and diagnostics, if required.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Post- op ECG pertaining to the procedure within 4 weeks.
- Return to theatres within 4 weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Home monitoring device and cardiology follow ups, if required.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote X5020.