What is a gastric balloon and how does it work?
A gastric balloon is an innovative, short-term non-surgical weight loss tool.
It is a soft silicon balloon that is temporarily inserted into your stomach, to partially fill it and speed up the process of making you feel full quicker after consuming smaller amounts of food. Because it reduces hunger and gives you the ability to control portion sizes, it can be used as a stepping stone on the path to effective weight reduction. It gives patients an option which will help them to begin making dietary and lifestyle adjustments.
How do I know if it’s right for me?
A gastric balloon could be right for you if you are looking for non-surgical weight loss treatment, if you have health issues brought on by weight and are unable to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off with diet, behavioural changes, and exercise alone.
What are the benefits of a gastric balloon?
- Avoids invasive surgery and any related dangers that comes with it.
- Return home the same day the balloon is inserted.
- More affordable than a number of surgical alternatives.
- Temporary support to help change your lifestyle. Once the balloon is removed if you stick to the same diet and modified lifestyle you should continue to lose weight.
- Typically, patients who have gastric balloons lose between 20 and 30 percent of their body weight.
Types of gastric balloon
There are various gastric balloon options available and so the procedure varies. Usually, though, it takes 15 to 30 minutes to complete and may be done with a general anaesthetic, sedation, or throat spray. Once the procedure is completed you can go home a few hours later. Before the procedure and throughout the process, there will be a series of follow-up meetings, receiving personalised nutrition and lifestyle guidance from one of our specialist dieticians. To help maintain your healthy diet and reach your long-term weight loss objectives.
View our innovative weight loss options here.