Anterior discectomy, decompression, and fusion
An anterior discectomy, decompression and fusion is a procedure designed to relieve pressure on the spinal cord and/or nerves, relieve pain and to stabilise the spine.
What does an anterior discectomy, decompression and fusion involve?
An anterior discectomy is usually performed from the front of the body. You will be placed under general anesthetic and your surgeon will make an incision in the lower front of your neck. They will then remove the excess bone and ligament segments which are causing compression. Once removed, the adjoining vertebrae are fused together over a period of 9-12 months.
An anterior discectomy with fusion is usually advised for patients with a herniated disk or bone spur that is causing pain and pressure on nerve roots and/or the spinal cord. Patients often experience pain, especially in the legs, which is worse when standing or walking.
An anterior discectomy is usually performed from the front of the body. You will be placed under general anaesthetic and your surgeon will make an incision in the lower front of your neck. They will then remove the excess bone and ligament segments which are causing compression. Once removed, the adjoining vertebrae are fused together over a period of nine to 12 months.
Paying for your treatment
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Fixed price packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price, including pre-admission tests, the procedure, professional fees, post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services.
Included in the package price:
- consultant surgeon and consultant anaesthetist procedure fees.
- two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- ward medications, dressings, and ward nursing consumables.
- theatre procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- theatre prosthesis.
- pathology and histology, if required.
- standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- all patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- return to theatres within six weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Inclusions listed above are non-refundable if not required.
Excluded from the package price:
- take out supplies.
- companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- personal expenses –telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package:
- Mr Ramesh Nadarajah, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mr Syed Aftab, Consultant Orthopaedic & Spinal Surgeon
- Mr Jonathan Bull, Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Mr Fady Sedra, Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal surgeon
When enquiring about this package please quote V2950.