Posterior decompression surgery
Posterior decompression surgery creates space within the spinal cord and nerves, relieving pain and pressure that is often felt in the legs.
Patients with pain, numbness or muscle weakness caused by degenerative conditions that compress the spinal column will often benefit from posterior decompression surgery. This type of treatment has been shown to help people with severe pain caused by compressed nerves, and many will see a significant improvement in their pain, especially when walking.
The procedure can take place anywhere along the spine, depending on the affected area. Your surgeon will make an incision and remove the excess bone and/or thickened ligaments. Sometimes, a Foraminotomy is also performed at the same time. This is the removal of bone around the neural foramen.
The procedure is performed under general anaesthetic and so you won’t feel any pain.
Your recovery may vary depending on your condition and the complexity of the surgery performed, however, most patients are able to resume light activities eight weeks after surgery. Your surgeon will tailor your recovery plan to your needs and our dedicated physiotherapy team will work with you closely to ensure you recover as fully and as quickly as possible.
As nicotine has been shown to inhibit the ability of bone-growing cells, smoking can negatively impact your recovery from surgery. It is strongly advised to stop smoking at least two to three months before surgery.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include diagnostics, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- consultant surgeon and consultant anaesthetist procedure fees.
- two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- ward medications, dressings, and ward nursing consumables.
- theatre procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- theatre prosthesis.
- pathology and histology, if required.
- standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- all patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- return to theatres within six weeks of the procedure date due to complication. Inclusions listed above are non-refundable if not required.
Inclusions listed above are non-refundable if not required.
Excluded from the package price:
- take out supplies.
- companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- personal expenses –telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
- Mr Ramesh Nadarajah, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mr Syed Aftab, Consultant Orthopaedic & Spinal Surgeon
- Mr Jonathan Bull, Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Mr Fady Sedra, Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal surgeon
When enquiring about this package please quote V2200.