Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction is a type of surgery used to reconstruct a torn ACL in the knee. A torn ACL mainly occurs due to a sports injury but could be a result of multiple other causes, such as a shift in your leg movements including extending your leg too far forward.
What does an ACL reconstruction involve?
ACL reconstruction surgery usually takes about an hour. Patients are usually under general anaesthetic or have an epidural. During the surgery, your surgeon will examine your knee to establish the extent of the damage. The ACL reconstruction will involve removing the remainder of the torn tissue and taking tissue from another part of your body to recreate the torn ACL.
What is the recovery period?
The recovery period after an ACL reconstruction depends on multiple factors, such as your age, fitness level and associated injuries, however, most patients are able to leave hospital the same day. Our dedicated recovery team of specialist orthopaedic nurses and physiotherapists will work with you closely to ensure you build strength and mobility as quickly as possible.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include diagnostics, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of both our self-pay Hospital Package and our Fixed Price Package.
Below is an outline of our self-pay hospital package which includes tests, hospital stay and procedure. Please note: it does not include consultant fees, which may vary.
Hospital package from £5,955
Indicative consultant fees from £1,200
- Standard pre-admission tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG) and chest X-ray
- Light meals
- Ward medications and dressings
- Theatre procedure and anaesthetics
- Inpatient physiotherapy, pathology, occupational therapy, surgical stockings and crutches
- Post-op and discharge medication
- Overnight accommodation in a private en-suite room is provided if required, at an increased package price
- Consultant consultation fee
- Consultant procedure fee
- Non-standard diagnostic and histology tests
- Any additional costs not specified in the package inclusions
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- Two follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Theatre procedure, including anaesthetic drugs and theatre consumables.
- Theatre prosthesis.
- Pathology and histology, if required.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Post-op X-rays and physiotherapy pertaining to the procedure within three months.
- Return to theatres within three months of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Personal expenses –telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the fixed price package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote W7420.