Implantable loop recorder
An implantable loop recorder (ILR) is a small device that is placed under the skin (usually on the left of the side of your chest) to record the electrical activity of your heart.
Who is suitable for an implantable loop recorder?
Your cardiologist may recommend an implantable loop recorder if:
- You have symptoms such as dizzy spells, blackouts and palpitations, and the cause has not been detected by prior monitoring
- You have had a recent stroke and other tests have not detected the cause
What does an implantable loop recorder involve?
The procedure is carried out under local anaesthetic and usually takes 10-15 minutes. A small 1-2 cm incision will be made on the left side of your chest where the implantable loop recorder will be injected under the skin. The incision will then be closed.
What is the recovery period?
After the procedure, you are usually able to go home straight away but you will need to limit movement to your upper body so the area around the incision can heal. The incision will require a dressing which you will need to keep dry for a week.
It is normal to feel a bit sore afterwards and have some bruising. Your cardiologist will be able to answer any questions you have about the device and what to do when you experience any symptoms.
As well as working with all major insurance companies, we also welcome patients who wish to pay for themselves. We offer a range of self-pay package options, including:
- Hospital Packages: these are flexible packages that group standard diagnostics and the procedure into one clear price. Consultant and anaesthetist fees are separate, and any other addition to your treatment is billed separately.
- Fixed Price Packages: these are comprehensive, all-inclusive packages that group everything you may need for treatment into one clear price. All of our Fixed Price Packages include pre-admission tests, procedure, all professional fees, all post-op outpatient care and any other consultant-recommended services as part of you treatment.
Below is an outline of our Fixed Price Package.
Included in the package price:
- Consultant Surgeon and Consultant Anaesthetist procedure fees.
- One follow-up consultations with consultant within post-op timeframe.
- Pre-admission outpatient tests, which includes standard pathology and diagnostic tests (ECG & Chest X-ray), if required.
- Recovery and accommodation which includes a stay in a private en-suite room.
- Ward medications, dressings, and nursing consumables.
- Procedure, including anaesthetic drugs, consumables, and prosthesis.
- Pathology, histology, and diagnostics, if required.
- Standard post–op medication issued and used during the inpatient stay.
- Inpatient physiotherapy and surgical stockings, if required.
- Discharge medication pertaining to the condition being treated by this package.
- All patient meals and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Post- op ECG pertaining to the procedure within four weeks.
- Return to theatres within four weeks of the procedure date due to complication.
Excluded from the package price:
- Take out supplies.
- Companion beds and catering for relatives / visitors.
- Home monitoring device and cardiology follow ups, if required.
- Personal expenses – telephone calls, additional catering, ambulances, etc…
If additional night’s stay, diagnostics, or other services are requested from your consultant you will not be charged in addition for these as these are included within the Fixed Price Package.
Consultants offering this package:
When enquiring about this package please quote 20142.