Head and neck second opinion service
Our service provides expert-led second opinions to patients, informed by the UK's foremost head and neck cancer specialists.
About the service
If you have been diagnosed with head and neck cancer, you may be interested in receiving a second opinion.
Cromwell Hospital is home to one of the UK's largest private head and neck services, led by award-winning consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon Mr Alastair Fry – a sought-after expert in mouth cancer who presents internationally on his surgical and reconstructive work.
Our head and neck cancer second opinion service is delivered by an exceptional team of the UK's leading head and neck experts, including surgeons, oncologists, and radiologists. Collectively, the team will review your case at a multidisciplinary team meeting (MDT) and provide their opinion on the best course of action.
You will have an initial discussion with our head and neck clinical nurse specialist about your diagnosis, medical history, and what you hope to obtain from a second opinion.
The information you provide will then be taken to our fortnightly MDT, where it will be discussed by our team of head and neck consultants which includes surgeons, oncologists, and radiologists.
Why seek a second opinion?
There are many reasons as to why patients might want a second opinion on their cancer diagnosis:
- They want to understand all treatment options available.
- They have been told that nothing more can be done for their case.
- Their cancer has returned following previous treatment.
- They aren't sure that the diagnosis they have received is correct.
- They don't feel comfortable or confident with the specialist that originally diagnosed their condition.