Renal medicine, or nephrology, involves the care of patients with all forms of kidney disease.
Our renal consultants manage acute kidney injury and kidney disease, as well as immune and metabolic disorders affecting your kidneys as well as urinary tract infections.
We provide dialysis for both patient staying in hospital and outpatients in our specialist unit at the hospital. We also offer holiday dialysis for those who need treatment while visiting London.
Our consultant transplant surgeons can also carry out kidney transplants.
Our twice-daily dialysis service includes:
- special facilities for dialysing patients with hepatitis B and C
- continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
- holiday haemodialysis
- plasma exchanges
We also provide 24-hour emergency dialysis for in-patients.
Transplant surgery - renal (kidney)
This highly complex surgical specialty can be used for patients experiencing end-stage renal (kidney) failure, and eliminates the continuing need for haemodialysis.
There is usually a long wait for donor organs to become available. It may however be possible for you to receive a kidney from a living relation if a suitable match can be found.
Kidney transplantation involves major surgery, and following the operation you will need to take immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of their lives, to prevent rejection of the transplanted organ.
Why choose us?
At Cromwell hospital, we offer:
- care from leading consultants with experience in treating a wide range of kidney conditions
- multidisciplinary care from specialists, nurses and consultants who work together to treat complex conditions
- state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging – onsite ultrasound and MRI
- flexible twice-daily dialysis sessions for in-both patients and out-patients.
“I had a great experience at the Cromwell Hospital; the staff were amazing, and is another level of professionalism compared to other hospitals I’ve stayed in.”
Lorne, Cromwell Hospital patient