Diagnosing and treating inflammatory conditions affecting your muscles and joints (rheumatism).
Autoimmune conditions are the result of your immune system attacking a healthy area of your body.
This causes your tissues to swell up and become painful. In your joints, it also makes movement difficult, and can cause damage to the bones.
A person with rheumatism may have symptoms such as joint pain or swelling, back pain, muscle aches or stiffness.
Rheumatology also covers treatment of patients who have symptoms such as general fatigue, osteoporosis and immune system disorders.
Our experienced rheumatology specialists have access to the latest technology for the identification and diagnosis of rheumatism conditions.
Our rheumatology department works closely with other musculoskeletal and orthopaedic specialists in the hospital to ensure you have the best all-round treatment for your condition.
Our physiotherapists and nutritionists are also involved in helping to manage the symptoms of rheumatism and prevent flare-ups.
Treatments for rheumatism and autoimmune conditions include:
- drugs to relieve pain and stiffness
- anti-inflammatory medication
- anti-rheumatic drugs to slow down the progression of the condition
- dietary guidance, helping to reduce symptoms and reduce excess weight and minimising the risk of developing heart disease
- occupational therapy
- hip or knee replacement
- removal of the lining of an inflamed joint
- removal or repair of severely inflamed tendons
- fusing a joint to make it more stable
Why choose us?
At Cromwell Hospital, you can expect:
- care from leading consultants with specialised experience in all aspects of rheumatism.
- multidisciplinary care from our specialists, nurses and consultants who work together to find you the best treatment
- state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging, including ultrasound and MRI
- consultants experienced in dealing with severe and complex cases of autoimmune disease
Our specialist consultants
"I would like to thank everyone at Cromwell Hospital for the fantastic way you looked after me. I could not fault anyone during the time I spent with you - from the point I arrived in reception, to the catering team and every member of staff throughout the changes of shift during my stay."
Anonymous, Cromwell Hospital patient