Thoracic surgery treats diseases affecting organs inside the chest (the thorax) – the lungs, chest wall and diaphragm.
At Cromwell Hospital, we provide surgical treatment for benign and cancerous conditions affecting the chest.
Our thoracic surgeons treat benign conditions such as emphysema and congenital malformations as well as cancerous conditions such as lung cancer and mesothelioma.
They have expertise in minimally-invasive thoracic surgery for lung cancer and mediastinal tumours.
We also offer the latest state-of-the-art thoracic imaging. This includes chest CT and MRI scanning, as well as integrated PET/CT scanning to get the most accurate diagnosis.
The treatment of thoracic cancers requires consultants from different specialties to work closely together.
Our thoracic work with consultants from across the hospital, including respiratory medicine specialists and oncologists, for the best patient outcomes.
Our clinical and medical oncologists are experts in advanced radiotherapy treatments, chemotherapy and targeted therapy for thoracic cancers in all stages of advancement.
Benign (non cancerous):
- pneumothorax (lung collapse)
- pleural effusion
- chest trauma or chest wall deformities
- congenital thoracic malformations
- pleural empyema (infection)
- palmar hyperhydrosis (sympathectomy)
- lung cancer
- malignant mesothelioma (pleural cancer)
- tracheal and bronchial tumours
- thymoma and other tumours of the mediastinum
- secondary lung cancer (lung metastases)
- malignant pleural effusion
- thoracic sarcoma
- neurogenic tumours of the chest
Why choose us?
At Cromwell Hospital, we understand the needs of those with thoracic conditions and offer:
- expertise in minimally invasive thoracic surgery known as VATs
- multidisciplinary care – consultants and experts from different specialties meet regularly to review complex cases to ensure the best possible care.
- state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging and screening.
Our specialist consultants
Our consultant thoracic surgeons are leaders in their field with expertise across both cancerous and non-cancerous chest conditions .
"I would like to thank everyone at Cromwell Hospital for the fantastic way you looked after me. I could not fault anyone during the time I spent with you - from the point I arrived in reception, to the catering team and every member of staff throughout the changes of shift during my stay."
Anonymous, Cromwell Hospital patient