Patients & visitors / Your child as a patent
Before your child's stay
You can help your child get ready for their hospital stay by arranging to visit us beforehand.
Our play specialists can show you one of the bedrooms, as well as the colourful play area with toys, books and electronic games.
We'll also be able to answer any questions you may have. If you’d like to arrange a visit, please call us on: 020 7460 5991.
We may ask your child to attend our pre-admission clinic or to go for MRSA screening.
If your child is having surgery, they will need to wash with a special liquid soap before their procedure. You can either collect a prescription from the hospital, or buy it at your local pharmacy.
Attending the pre-admission clinic
At our pre-admission clinic, we will carry out all necessary tests and ask you to complete all paperwork ahead of admission. This leads to a smoother process when your child comes into hospital. Please ask your consultant whether you need to attend the clinic.
We’ll also answer any questions you may have and explain any pre-procedure instructions to you and your child.
Here’s what will happen at your child’s appointment. We will:
- take a record of weight, blood pressure and pulse rate and note any medicines that your child is taking along with their immunisation record
- carry out blood tests and any other tests your consultant has ordered so they have the results in good time for the procedure.
- ask girls aged 12 or older for a urine sample to rule out pregnancy. Certain procedures carry a greater risk if the patient is pregnant. We follow best practice guidelines by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
- screen certain patients for MRSA . If your child is one of the small number of people who carry the MRSA bacteria, they will need to be treated for five days before coming into hospital.
- give all patients having surgery a prescription for a special liquid soap. Your child will need to wash with this before their procedure.
To arrange an appointment at the pre-admission clinic, call: 020 7460 5700/5878.
Outpatient opening hours are: Monday to Friday 8am-8pm
For certain procedures, your child may need to have an MRSA screening one to four weeks before they come to hospital.
We might ask for them to screened if:
- they are having orthopaedic surgery, an ear implant, neurological/spinal surgery, or a central venous catheter (CVC) inserted
- have been admitted with open wounds and lesions
- have a previous history of MRSA infection or colonisation
- have been admitted from another hospital
- have come from overseas
If the test is not done at the hospital, you will need to email the laboratory results to our pre-admission team before your child’s reservation is confirmed.