Patients & visitors / Your child as a patient
Your child's medical team
During your child’s stay, a highly-trained team of nursing specialists will take care of your child alongside your consultant.
They will provide first-rate medical care in a calm, comfortable environment and answer any questions you may have.
Your child’s consultant will lead their treatment and he or she will tell hospital staff about any tests or treatment needed.
If your child has any tests done, the consultant will discuss the results with you.
Your child's team may also include:
- Registered nurses – specially trained to care for children and young people
- Play specialists – who support both you and your child during your time in hospital
- Student nurses – who may help to care for your child under the direct supervision of senior staff.
- Nurse specialists - who are dedicated to a particular area of nursing
- Healthcare assistants - who support the nursing team
- Therapists – including physiotherapists, occupational therapists, dietitians and speech and language therapists.
- Radiographers - who conduct imaging diagnostics, for example X-rays and MRI scans
- Clinical fellows – 24-hour medical cover is provided by our in-house clinical fellows, who will liaise with your child’s consultant as needed.
- Paediatric intensivist