Patients & visitors / Staying with us
Before your stay
You might be feeling anxious about coming to hospital, but preparing for your visit will make you feel a little better.
In the weeks before your admission, we'll send you a letter confirming your admission date, time and location. Please read this carefully and note any instructions.
Don't forget to tell us about any special requirements before your admission.
Your may need to attend our pre-admission clinic, one to four weeks before your admission date.
At our pre-admission clinic, we will carry out all necessary tests ahead of your stay. This leads to a smoother admission on the day of your procedure.
It’s also a chance to complete admission paperwork, so you don’t have to do it on admission day.
At the clinic, we will:
- carry out blood tests and any other tests your consultant has ordered so they have the results in good time for the procedure.
- record your weight, height and medical history.
- screen certain patients for MRSA.
To arrange an appointment at the pre-admission clinic, call: 020 7460 5700/5989.
Opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday, 8am-2pm on Saturday.
Appointments at the pre-admission clinic are included in the cost of your main procedure.
Who needs to be screened?
If you work in a healthcare environment or have a history of MRSA infections, your consultant will ask you to be screened.
Patients having particular procedures will also need to be screened. These include:
- cardiac, neurological/spinal, orthopaedic, transplant or vascular surgery
- bone marrow transplants
- procedures involving an implant
- central venous catheter (CVC) insertion
- dialysis patients
- haematology patients
- patients with open wounds and lesions
- oncology patients
- patients having radiotherapy, attending the oncology ward or chemotherapy day unit.
When do I need to have the test?
You will need to take the test up to four weeks before admission.
How long do I need treatment for?
If you are one of the small number of people carrying the MRSA bacteria, you will need to have treatment for five days before you come into hospital.
Tests outside the hospital
If you have the test elsewhere, you will need to email the result to our pre-admission team before your reservation is confirmed.
We want your stay to be as comfortable as possible, so please let us know if you need:
- special facilities because of a physical disability (we have disabled access to all areas of the hospital but can cater for additional requirements)
- an interpreter or chaperone
- an extra room for relatives or carers (subject to availability). This will be an extra charge.
Download our MRSA screening information leaflet for more information on our screening process.
Just call our pre-admissions team on: 020 7460 5700/5989.